Monday, October 25, 2010

Night 5: 'Twas a Tempest Indeed

Well, I stand corrected: Night 5 of Net Strike was definitely far worse than Night 4.  Although it rained less (i.e., rain amount is always relative in Seattle), the wind was certainly whipping up a good storm. The awning over my deck protected me from direct rainfall, but then the wind would cause the awning ends - which somehow collect copious amounts of water - to project sprays of water over me and my poor bednet.  Speaking of my bednet, it probably fared the worst out of the Net Strike team: as I lay looking up at my deck awning, wondering if it was going to blow away and then take me with it (i.e., essentially like this girl's poor red umbrella), the wind would make my net swirl around above me like a mildly agitated tornado.  Luckily, I've perfected my pillow-fort-and-blanket-over-my-head combat strategy against the elements, and it's worked pretty well thus far.  Sure, my blanket is soaked each night, but that's what bathroom racks and dryers are made for.  Bring it Net Strike, this is for Lubomba.


In spite of the inevitable rain and wind tonight for Night 6 (e.g., my boyfriend's office building has been creaking all day due to the wind and I've watched a steady deluge flood the streets from my own workplace), I'm in a stupendous mood.  Why, you may ask?  Well, aside from making steady progress on a work project this afternoon and highly anticipating my return to Roar Yoga tonight, Net Strike got featured by Malaria No More news blog - right above the likes of Ed Helms, Elizabeth Banks, and BJ Novak (!!!!).  Now if only I was also featured on a great Thursday night comedy, we'd have an NBC sweep at MNM. :)  Hopefully Malaria No More's generous shout-out will help move the strike along - if you've never been to Seattle in October, it's not exactly the best camping weather.

Happy - and soggy - Monday,
Nancy




Net STRIKE!  I'm sleeping outside under a bednet in Seattle so children in Tanzania can too.  I'll sleep out on the deck, bednet overhead, until November 4 (i.e., when I leave for the NYC marathon) or $10,000 is raised for my Team Malaria No More fundraising campaign, Lives for Lubomba.  To support this campaign, simply scroll down the page to the button "Click Here to Donate Now."  Thanks so much for your support, "saving" me and children's lives in Tanzania.